Thursday, April 15, 2010

Come Live With Me

I recently watched a movie starring James Stewart. It came on TCM and I'm pretty sure it was made in 1941. In the movie Stewart quoted a beautiful poem by Christoper Marlowe. It inspired me. Here it is!
Come Live With Me and be my Love
And we will all the pleasures prove
The valleys, groves, hills, and fields,
woods or steepy mountain yields.
And we will sit upon the rocks
Seeing the sheperds feed their flocks
By shallow rivers to whose fall
Melodious birds sing madrigals
And I will make thee bed of roses
And a thousand fragrant poises,
A cap of flowers, and a kirtle
Embroidered all with leaves of myrtle;
A gown made of the finest wool
Which from our pretty lambs we pull;
Fair lined slippers for the cold,
With buckles of the purest gold;
A belt of straw and ivy buds
With coral clasps and amber studs:
And if these pleasures may the move,
Come live with me and be my love.
For the sheperds' swain shall dance and sing
For thy delight each May morning:
If these delights thy mind may move,
Then live with me and be my love.
A Passionate Sheperd to his Love: Chirstopher Marlowe

No comments:

Post a Comment